Euxton Primrose Hill Primary School
Primrose Hill Rd

Contact details

Twitter: @MrGCaunce
Phone: 01257 276688

Stay social

Please complete the form below

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Subject (required)

Your Message


SEN Information Report and Policy

SEN Policy

View the SEN Policy here.

SEN Information Report

Primrose Hill Primary School is a county primary school committed to providing a rich and inclusive education to all its pupils.

As a school, we are committed in our approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by Lancashire Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.

All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.

The four broad ‘areas of special educational need’ are:

  • Communication and Interaction
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
  • Sensory and Physical Needs


Your Child has Special Educational Needs. What can Primrose Hill Primary School offer?

At Primrose Hill Primary School, we embrace the fact that every child is different. Children with Special Educational Needs may require provision that is different and additional to that of their classmates. The level of support that a child may receive will depend on the need that they have. Every effort will be made to make sure that all children receive the support that they need to access the curriculum and make excellent progress in school.

In our school we aim to offer excellence and choice to all our children, whatever their ability or needs. We have high expectations of all our children. We aim to achieve this through the removal of barriers to learning and participation. We want all our children to feel that they are a valued part of our school community. Through appropriate curricular provision, we respect the fact that children:

  • have different educational and behavioural needs and aspirations
  • require different strategies for learning
  • acquire, assimilate and communicate information at different rates
  • need a range of different teaching approaches and experiences


Who do I talk to if I am concerned that my child may have a Special Educational Need?

Your child’s class teacher is the first person to contact. They are responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) know of any additional needs as and when this is necessary
  • Providing and assessing the impact of personalised teaching and learning for your child

The SENCo is: Mrs Emma Swinburn

She is responsible for:

  • developing and reviewing the school’s SEN policy
  • co-coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities & provision mapping of support throughout the school
  • ensuring that parent/carers are:
  • involved in supporting your child’s learning
  • kept informed about the support your child is getting
  • involved in reviewing how your child is doing
  • liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapist as appropriate
  • updating the school’s SEN register (a system for ensuring that all the SEN needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEN in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

The Head Teacher is: Mr Gareth Caunce

The Head Teacher has the ultimate responsibility for the SEN provision in the school.

The Special Needs Governor is: Mrs Clare Ward

Our Special Needs Governor can be contacted via the School Office.


What are the different types of support available to children with SEN?

The level of support that your child requires will determine the type of support they will receive at school. Here are some examples of how we aim to support children with SEN in our school:

Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

  • For your child this would mean:
  • that the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class
  • that all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand
  • that different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or equipment to help with learning
  • that specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo) are in place to support your child to learn

Specific group work

  • Children may be supported through the use of group interventions which may be
  • run in the classroom or an alternative learning space such as the The Den
  • run by a teacher or a Teaching Assistant or Higher Level Teaching Assistant (TA/HLTA)

These interventions may follow a particular learning programme designed to meet specific needs and fill specific gaps (for example these may be in aspects of English or mathematics). These interventions may also be tailor-made by staff in school to help meet the needs of a group of children.

One to one support (1:1)

  • Children may be supported through one to one sessions
  • run in the classroom or a group room – run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA/LSA)

These sessions will be designed to help a child master a particular skill or give them the confidence to participate fully in class by helping them to access areas of the curriculum.

External Interventions – County Support Agencies

  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and so be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

Children with severe or life-long needs – specified individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via a Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

For your child this would mean:

  • The school can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the local authority (LA) and how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

Specialist Support:

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups (“Including All Children” documentation from LA).

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from

  • Local Authority central services such as Behaviour Support, Inclusion, Disability Support Services (IDSS) for students with specific disabilities and Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy services
  • outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service


How will Primrose Hill Primary School identify a Special Educational Need in my child?

If it becomes clear that your child may have a particular barrier to learning, there are a number of ways in which the school can identify Special Educational Needs. This includes discussion with parents. Your child’s class teacher has the ongoing job of closely monitoring your child’s progress and will highlight any concerns to the SENCo and Head Teacher.

Ongoing assessments and tracking alongside observations of your child in class help teachers understand where your child is having difficulties and help them to plan excellent provision to support your child’s learning.

Particular needs including a disability may require a clinical diagnosis by a qualified medical practitioner.

  • In some cases it may be necessary to seek advice from outside agencies. In such cases you may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.

How does the school evaluate the effectiveness of provision for children with SEN?

We have a robust system of reviewing our provision for all of the children in our school, including those with SEN. Each half term we review every child’s progress in line with expectations. Any interventions are identified and tracked to make sure their impact is effective. This could include interventions for children with SEN as well as those generated by extra funding such as Pupil Premium. In addition to this formal monitoring process:

  • Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his or her class teacher
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6), all children are required to be formally assessed using Teacher Assessments and Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results are published nationally.
  • Where necessary, children will have an Individual Education Plan (IEP) detailing targets set by the SENCO, Class teacher and Teaching Assistant and outside agencies specific to their needs. Targets will be set and designed to accelerate learning and close the gap. Progress against these targets will be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgments assessed and a future plan made.
  • The progress of children with a statement of SEN/EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at least annually. This is with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The SENCO will also monitor your child’s progress.
  • Regular book monitoring and lesson observations will be carried out by the Senior Management Team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.


How will the school let me know how my child is progressing at school?

We are committed to close relationships between our school and parents and carers. Your child’s class teacher will let you know how your child is doing and will be happy to communicate regularly with you about their progress. In addition to this, we will keep you informed of any significant change in the provision for your child. If the support of outside agencies is sought for your child, you will be asked for permission and you will be invited to meet with these professionals if they visit school to review or observe your child.

In addition to open communication between home and school, we have a regular system of parents’ evenings and detailed end of term report cards along with their final end of year report that help all parents keep up to date with their children’s progress. If your child also has an IEP your child’s class teacher will review these once a term and parents will receive a copy.

How will teaching be adapted to support my child with SEN?

  • Your child’s teacher will carefully check your child’s progress and will decide whether your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted, on a daily basis if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs.


How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

All children have an entitlement to a broad and balanced curriculum. The school makes every effort to fully include all children with SEN in the mainstream curriculum. It may be necessary to adapt the teaching style or curriculum content to suit your child’s needs. Class teachers are responsible for planning enriching and appropriate activities for all children, including those with SEN. If your child has an IEP (Individual Education Plan), they will be given clear targets to help them achieve within the curriculum, and the different strategies needed to help them do this will be clearly noted in the IEP document.


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including trips?

Every effort will be made to support SEN children in activities outside the classroom. Depending on their level of need they may require one to one (1:1) support from an adult or additional measures may be taken to brief them about an activity.


What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

As a school, we take the emotional well-being of all our pupils very seriously. We have an established safeguarding policy and all staff are regularly trained in all areas of child protection. For children with physical difficulties, all personal care is conducted discreetly, fostering independence where possible. Within school we run a nurture group, this is an opportunity for children to discuss issues in a secure confident setting. The school is also able to make referrals to CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health services) should your child need that level of support.


What staff training is provided for staff supporting children with SEN?

The Head Teacher and the SENCo are responsible for ensuring that all staff have the training and support they need to effectively work with children with SEN. All class teachers are highly trained professionals who are experienced in supporting children with a range of learning needs. The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEN. Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class, e.g. School Nurses, Speech and Language team etc. The school is also able to draw on the expertise of a number of outside agencies to help them, for example the Educational Psychology team and Specialist teachers.


How accessible is our school?

Our school building has been adapted to make it wheelchair accessible. The site is reviewed regularly to ensure that it meets the requirements of as many of our pupils as possible. The school also has a hygiene room with disabled toilet and shower.. The school uses the expertise of outside agencies, such as the IDSS team, to advise on equipment and accessibility issues as required.


How are parent carers/young people currently involved in our school and who can I contact for further information?

At Primrose Hill we have an open door policy whereby teachers, the SENCo and the head teacher are easily accessible to talk to parent carers and encourage positive relationships from first contact with the school. We hold regular parent consultation and curriculum evenings. Our induction for families new to the school includes visits to the school, home visits for Year R pupils and a welcome PTFA event hosted by current parents. All parents joining the school automatically become members of PTFA. Parents of pupils who are identified as having Special Educational Needs will have additional opportunities to discuss their child’s needs and progress as appropriate including at annual review or if their needs change. Pupils regularly contribute their views about their provision through pupil surveys and our School Council. Pupils with Special Educational Needs are consulted as part of the review process.

For the last 6 years parent carer forums have developed in nearly every local area in England.   They have evidenced that parents working strategically with the local authority / health / education partners can lead to improved services, better targeting of resource, and improved satisfaction.


What should I do if I have a concern about the school’s SEN provision?

If you are concerned about the SEN provision that your child is receiving please contact the SENCo or head teacher in order to resolve any concerns. Should the matter remain unresolved please refer to the school’s complaints policy. All concerns will be heard discreetly and sensitively.


How will the school prepare my child for transfer to a new class or, at the end of Key Stage 2, to a new school?

There are various measures in place to ensure smooth transfer between classes and then to their new school at the end of year 6. Children will have transfer days both for changing year group and for starting a new school. As we are a relatively small school, your child will have a lot of contact with all of the teaching staff through activities, clubs and assemblies. Some children may have needs that mean this transfer is more worrying for them. For example children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, or other difficulties with social communication and interaction, may need this transfer to be more structured and gradual. When your child is approaching the end of their time at Primrose Hill, every effort will be made to make sure that we communicate their specific needs to the new school. This process usually starts at the beginning of Year 6, although your child’s class teacher and the SENCo may choose to discuss transition to secondary school with you earlier than this.


Where can I get further information about services for my child?

The SEN information supplied here forms a part of Lancashire Authority’s Local Offer. In order to access the Local Authority’s Local Offer please click on the link below: